“Satoshi” is the smallest unit of the bitcoin. It is a one hundred millionth of a single bitcoin (0.00000001 BTC). The unit has been named to pay homage to the original creator of Bitcoin who is Satoshi Nakamoto. However, as of today, there is a long list of different bitcoin subunits existing such as mBTC, μBTC and cBTC, and others. To avoid confusion, a proposal was made for bitcoin to be broken down into just one smaller unit called “Bits” (0.000001 BTC).
Here are the common bitcoin subunits and their equivalent:
- Bitcoin – BTC – 1 BTC (1 whole Bitcoin)
- MilliBitcoin – mBTC – 0.001 BTC (1 thousandth of a BTC)
- MicroBitcoin – uBTC – 0.000001 BTC (1 millionth of a BTC)
- Bit = 0.000001 ( 1 millionth of a BTC)
- Satoshi = 0.00000001 BTC ( 1 hundred millionth of a BTC)
If you want to learn more about bitcoin sub-units, please refer here.
Interested to buy Bitcoin? Check the Market Now: https://www.bitkub.com/market/BTC