“Satoshi” is the smallest unit of Bitcoin. It is one hundred millionth of a single Bitcoin (0.00000001 BTC). The unit has been named to pay homage to the original creator of Bitcoin, Satoshi Nakamoto. However, as of today, there is a long list of different Bitcoin subunits existing including mBTC, μBTC, and cBTC. To avoid confusion, a proposal was made for Bitcoin to be broken down into just one smaller unit called “Bits” (0.000001 BTC).
Here are the common Bitcoin subunits and their equivalent:
- Bitcoin – BTC – 1 BTC (1 whole Bitcoin)
- MilliBitcoin – mBTC – 0.001 BTC (1 thousandth of a BTC)
- MicroBitcoin – μBTC – 0.000001 BTC (1 millionth of a BTC)
- Bit = 0.000001 (1 millionth of a BTC)
- Satoshi = 0.00000001 BTC (1 hundred millionth of a BTC)